Gooseberry and Almond Crumble
Making the most of the gooseberry season, this delicious crumble is the perfect summer pudding to share with friends and family. It can be made in advance and stored in the fridge until needed, ready for a quick cook in the oven when guests arrive.
For the base1kg gooseberries 200g light brown sugar 1 tsp ground cinnamon the grated zest of two oranges the juice of two lemons
For the almond crumble topping280g plain flour ½ tsp ground nutmeg 125g light brown sugar 85g ground almonds 125 cold diced butter 40g oats 40g flaked almonds
To serve300ml double cream 2 tbsp rose petals sprig of mint
- Preheat the oven to 160C/325F/Gas 3.
- Make the gooseberry base by placing the gooseberries, sugar, cinnamon, orange zest and lemon juice into a large saucepan and bring to the boil. Stir and when the sugar has dissolved and the sauce is thick, remove from the heat and set aside.
- Make the crumble topping by mixing the flour, nutmeg, sugar and ground almonds together. Rub in the cold butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs, and then add the oats and flaked almonds and mix together. Pour the mixture onto a lined baking tray and bake the crumble in the oven for 15 minutes, or until light golden brown.
- Pour the gooseberry mixture into six individual pudding dishes, or one large ovenproof dish and top with the crumble. These can be stored in the fridge for cooking later.
- Turn the oven up to 180C/350F/Gas 4 and cook the crumble in the oven for a further 10 minutes, until the topping has browned and the fruit is bubbling. Serve with double cream, rose petals and a sprig of mint.