5 Grain Savoury Porridge with Pickled Beetroot, Apple and Hazelnuts
Ready in: Under 15 Mins
Pickled beetroot adds an unusual twist to this savoury porridge.
Ingredients:1 jar of Baxters Shredded Beetroot
1 Pink Lady apple
30g red vein sorrel
4 tbsp oil
80g steel cut oats
4 tbsp chia seeds
1 litre of water
- Drain the beetroot, retaining the vinegar, and pat dry on kitchen paper. Bring the water to the boil in a large pan and add the salt.
- Rinse the grains under cold running water for one minute. Add them to the pan and cook on a medium heat, until the grains have soaked up most of the water. This will take around 30 minutes; if, at this point, the grains are not cooked to your liking, simply add a little more water and cook for longer. Season to taste.
- At this point, the porridge can be cooled and stored in the fridge, then heated up each morning.
- To serve, cut the apple into matches the same size as the beets.
- Roast the hazelnuts in the oven at 180C/350F/Gas 4 for six minutes, then roughly chop them. Mix in two tablespoons of the pickling vinegar and the oil, then season.
- In a separate bowl, mix the apple with an equal amount of the shredded beets. Add the nuts and sorrel, then drizzle with the dressing.
- Top the porridge with the salad, a sprinkling of chia seeds and serve straight away.