Stilton Cheese and Fenland Celery Pasties
Flaky pastry encases a delectable filling of potato, Stilton cheese and diced Fenland celery, these pasties make for a perfect midweek family supper, as well as being wonderful packed up and eaten ‘al fresco’ as a Bonfire Night warmer.
Ingredients:2 large potatoes, peeled and diced 1 tsp English mustard powder 200g Stilton cheese, crumbled 4 sticks Fenland celery, diced 450g ready-made puff pastry 1 free-range egg, beaten with tablespoon milk salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6. Grease and line a large baking sheet with greaseproof paper.
- Boil the potatoes until they are soft enough to mash; mash them until they are smooth, then add the mustard powder, crumbled Stilton cheese and the diced celery.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Roll the pastry out on a well-floured board and stamp out circles with a saucer or small plate, to about 13cm (5 in) in diameter.
- Spoon some of the filling mixture over one half, moisten the edges of the pastry then fold the pastry over to form a crescent and seal by crimping around the edges with your fingers or a fork.
- Place the pasties on the baking sheet, cut a slit to allow the steam to escape and brush them all over with the beaten egg and milk mixture. Bake for 20-25 minutes until they are golden brown.
- Remove the pasties from the oven and allow to cool slightly before serving warm, or cold.