Purple Sprouting Broccoli, Squash and Spelt Salad
Ready in: 60 mins +
Try swapping the purple sprouting broccoli for British asparagus when it's in season
Ingredients:1 small red onion, finely diced
2 tbsp veggie red sherry or balsamic vinegar
1 tsp caster sugar
200g spelt grain
1 small squash, cut into thin wedges
olive oil, for roasting
250g purple sprouting broccoli
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 tbsp capers, soaked in water for 10 minutes, drained and roughly chopped
extra virgin olive oil
sea salt and ground black pepper
large handful pitted black olives
large handful chopped parsley
- Put the onion in a large bowl with the vinegar and sugar. Leave to macerate. In a pan of boiling water, cook the spelt for 35-40 minutes, until just tender. Drain and leave to cool.
- Put the squash on a baking tray and toss in just enough olive oil to coat. Roast at 190C/375F/Gas 5 for 30-40 minutes, until just tender and starting to colour. In a pan of boiling water, cook the purple sprouting broccoli for three minutes.
- Drain, refresh in cold water, then drain again. Peel the oranges and remove any pith. Cut in between the membrane either side of each segment and remove each orange segment. Squeeze any leftover juice into the bowl with the onion.
- Add the mustard, capers, 4 tbsp olive oil and season. Mix in the spelt, squash, PSB, orange segments, olives and parsley.
- Check the seasoning and drizzle over a little extra olive oil to serve.