Phil Vickery’s Italian Style Vegetable Broth with Yoghurt Flat Breads
Ready in: 60 mins +
Know your nutrients
Powered by Nutracheck
Ingredients:1 onion, peeled and chopped
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
2 celery sticks, chopped
1 courgette, chopped
1/2 small savoy or any cabbage, sliced finely
410g tin chopped tomatoes in juice with herbs
1 vegetable stock cube
100g spaghetti (raw)
2-3 tbsp vegetarian green pesto
2 tbsp vegetarian Parmesanstyle cheese, grated (optional)
4-5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
[hd]For the flat breads[/hd]
200g self-raising flour
black pepper, coarsely ground sea salt
8-10 heaped tbsp natural yoghurt
1 pot of fresh mint, washed and roughly chopped
- Place all the vegetables in a large saucepan. Add the tomatoes and juice, water and the stock cube, bring to the boil, then stir well. Turn down the heat to a simmer and add the spaghetti.
- Next, add the pesto and a little pepper. Stir well and simmer for 35-40 minutes, or until the spaghetti is cooked. Once cooked, the broth should be thick and chunky. Season to taste and add the cheese (if using). Finish by pouring in the extra virgin olive oil.
- To make the flat breads, place the flour, salt, pepper, chopped mint and yoghurt into a large bowl. Mix together with a wooden spoon, then lightly bring together with your hands. The dough should be soft, but not sticky. If it’s sticky, add a little extra flour, if too dry add a little water or milk.
- Form into a large ball, being careful not to work the dough too much, then flatten with the palm of the hand. Alternatively, you can lightly roll it out with a rolling pin.
- Gently heat a 28cm non-stick frying pan, and place the flattened dough in it. Cook for 15-20 minutes then turn over, the dough will be lightly browned and puffed up. Turn over and cook for a further10-15 minutes until cooked right through. Remove, cool slightly, then cut up and serve with the re-heated broth.