Onion and Cheese Soda Bread
Ready in: 30 to 60 mins
Ingredients:1 large onion, sliced
1 tbsp olive oil
450g plain flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
150g vegetarian Gruyère cheese, grated
3 tbsp water
2 tbsp sundried tomatoes, roughly chopped
- Preheat the oven to 220C/425F/ Gas 7. Heat the oil in a frying pan and gently fry the onions until translucent – about 10 minutes.
- Mix the flour and bicarbonate of soda in a bowl; add the cheese, onions and sundried tomatoes.
- Stir the yoghurt and water together, then stir this mixture into the flour. Mix with a spoon until it forms a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic. Shape into a 20cm round. Place onto a baking sheet and mark out six wedges with a knife.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until golden brown and the bottom of the loaf sounds hollow when tapped. If it isn't ready after this time, turn it upside down on the baking sheet and bake for a few minutes more.