Aine Carlin’s Creamy Spelt and Mushroom Risotto
This recipe by Aine Carlin of Pea Soup Eats is wonderfully creamy and filling
Ingredients:1 x 250g pack Merchant Gourmet Spelt 1 large shallot 3 garlic cloves 250g chestnut mushrooms 3 tbsp coconut cream ¼ tsp english mustard 20g toasted pine nuts 20g curly leaf parsley zest & juice ½ lemon Olive oil Extra virgin olive oil Vegetarian Parmesan Sea salt and black pepper To serve: Roasted cherry tomatoes
- Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a large pan or skillet. Finely chop the shallot and add to pan. Season and sweat until translucent.
- In a separate pan, heat a tablespoon of oil in a small skillet. Slice the mushrooms and add to pan. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and let them cook over a low heat until they begin to exude their juices. Mince the garlic and add to pan. Stir to coat and cook for a further 3-4 minutes.
- Add the spelt to the pan along with the shallots. Pour over any excess liquid from the mushrooms and let the spelt absorb the flavours.
- Once the mushrooms are reasonably dry, transfer to the spelt pan and stir to combine. Add the coconut cream, lemon zest, juice, mustard and season generously. Cook gently for around 2-3 minutes before tossing in the toasted pine nuts and finely chopped parsley.
- Roast some vine tomatoes in a pre-heated oven at 180C for around 20 minutes before serving.