Coconut Raspberry Friands
Ready in: 30 to 60 mins
grated rind of 1/2 lemon
3 medium free-range egg whites
100g icing sugar
40g plain flour
50g desiccated coconut
25g ground almonds
100g frozen raspberries, defrosted
sifted icing sugar, to decorate
- Lightly oil 6 individual 150ml metal friand or mini loaf tins and line the bases with a little greaseproof or nonstick baking paper then put the tins onto a baking sheet.Warm the butter and lemon rind in a small saucepan until the butter has just melted.Leave to cool.
- Whisk the egg whites in a large,clean bowl until they form stiff,moist looking peaks then gradually add the sugar a little at a time (no need to sift first) and continue to whisk until smooth and glossy.
- Sift the flour over the top,add the coconut and ground almonds and gently fold together.Gradually stir in the melted butter until just mixed.
- Divide the mixture between the tins then smooth the surface.Press 4 or 5 raspberries,depending on their size,into the cakes.Cook at 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6 for 15-20 minutes until the tops are golden and a skewer comes out cleanly when inserted into the centre.
- Leave to cool for 5 minutes then loosen the edges with a knife,turn out onto a wire rack and dust the top with a little sifted icing sugar.Serve warm or cold.