Christmas Gingerbread Hanging Biscuits
"Make your tree good enough to eat with these delicious gingerbread decorations"
Ingredients:125g unsalted butter
2 tbsp black treacle
2 tbsp golden syrup
225g Billington’s Unrefined Light Muscovado Sugar
450g plain flour
1 tbsp ground ginger
1 tsp mixed spice
1 tbsp cinnamon powder
1 tbsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tbsp whole milk
Billington's Unrefined Golden Icing
vegetarian edible gold or silver dragee balls
- Preheat the oven to 170/325F/Gas 3. Place the butter, treacle, golden syrup and sugar in a pan and heat gently until the butter melts and sugar dissolves. Remove from the heat and allow to cool a little.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour and spices adn pour the sugar mixture into the dry ingredients and stir to combine.
- Dissolve the bicarbonate of soda into the milk and add to the bowl. Combine ti make a dough, adding a little more milk if necessary. Wrap the dough in clingfilm and place in the fridge to cool for at least 30 minutes.
- Roll out the dough on a surface lightly dusted with flour and cut out shapes using Christmas cutters. Transfer onto the baking sheets slightly spaced apart and bake for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and whilst they are still soft, make one hole in each with the point of a skewer large enough to thread some ribbon through, then leave to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Mix the golden icing with water to form a stiff glacé icing, fill a piping bag with a size 1.5 nozzle and carefully pipe lines or dots to decorate the biscuits. Add the edible dragees while the icing is still wet.
- Once the decoration is dry, thread some ribbon through and tie together with a knot ready for hanging.
Did you make this recipe?
Share your creations by tagging @livegreenandgood on Instagram with the hashtag #livegreenandgood