Cheese, Fenland Celery and Walnut Scones with Parsley Butter
Tasty and very moreish these savoury scones should be served warm with the butter gently melting so you can swirl in a nutty-sweet stick of Fenland celery. It makes a perfect combination ideal for a light lunch or teatime treat.
Ingredients:225g self-raising flour 2 tsp baking powder 50g butter 125g mature Cheddar cheese, grated 1 head Fenland celery, finely chop 2 of the stalks 50g walnuts, roughly chopped 1 large free-range egg approximately 6 tbsp milk
For the parsley butter50g butter, softened 2 tbsp parsley, finely chopped
- Preheat oven 220C(200C fan)/425F/Gas 7 and grease a baking tray.
- Place the flour and baking powder into a large bowl, rub in the butter until it resembles fine breadcrumbs and then stir in the finely chopped Fenland celery, 100g of the grated cheese and the chopped walnuts.
- Break the egg into a measuring jug, lightly beat and make up to 150ml with the milk, add all but a small amount, reserve to brush the tops with. Mix gently until you have a soft dough.
- Knead lightly on a floured surface and roll out to approx. 2cm thick, cut into 6cm rounds and place on the baking tray, re-roll any trimmings.
- Brush the tops with a little of the reserved egg mix and sprinkle with the remaining cheese, bake for 12-15 minutes until well risen and golden. Cool on a wire rack.
- Mix together the softened butter and parsley, serve the scones warm, split in half and topped with the butter with the remaining Fenland celery to crunch along with.