Watermelon & Halloumi Baby Gem Cups
Ready in: Under 15 Mins
Eco Friendly Gluten Free Quick Make
If making as canapés for a large group, chop the griddled halloumi into smaller pieces and serve little spoonfuls of the salad in the smaller baby gem leaves too!
Ingredients:3 baby gem lettuces
½ small water melon chopped into chunks, seeds removed
½ small red onion, finely sliced
4 tbsp shredded mint
100g cucumber, cut into chunks
2 ripe tomatoes, deseeded and cubed
2 tbsp pinenuts
250g block of vegetarian halloumi cheese, sliced into 8 pieces
[hd]For the dressing[/hd]
50ml white wine cider vinegar or lime juice
150ml extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp honey
salt and pepper
- First, toast the pinenuts. Warm a dry, heavy based frying pan to a medium heat. Throw in the pine nuts and heat through. Shake regularly so that they colour all over. When they reach a deep golden colour (which doesn't take long at all) remove from the pan and set aside. Keep a close eye on them while cooking as they do burn easily.
- Seperate the baby gem lettuces into individual leaves using the larger outer leaves rather than the smaller internal ones. Arrange eight leaves on a large serving platter.
- In a large bowl mix together the watermelon, onion, tomato, cucumber, mint and toasted pinenuts.
- Whisk together the dressing ingredients, pour over the watermelon mixture and toss well. Griddle the halloumi slices on a griddle pan or BBQ for about 30 seconds on each side or until golden griddle lines appear.
- Place a slice of halloumi cheese in each baby gem leaf and then spoon in the watermelon salad. Reserve the leftover dressing from the bottom of the bowl for later – it's too tasty to waste. Serve the cups as canapés or two per person as an unusual starter.
Did you make this recipe?
Share your creations by tagging @livegreenandgood on Instagram with the hashtag #livegreenandgood