Savoury Christmas Gateau with Rose Harissa Halloumi Filling
Ready in: 60 mins +
Ingredients:10 large green cabbage leaves
1 tbsp olive oil
100g leek, green part, trimmed and finely chopped
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
200g carrots, peeled and grated
100g parsnip, peeled and grated
50g orzo, cooked according to pack, or cooked rice
a little water
1 slice seeded bread, made into breadcrumbs
1 tsp sesame seeds
1 free-range egg, beaten
1 packet vegetarian halloumi, grated
1 tbsp rose harissa paste
salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4. Wash cabbage leaves, cut out central veins and discard. Steam for five minutes until quite soft.
- Grease a 20cm wide (8 in) deep oven dish. Line the dish with the cabbage so the outside of the leaves are facing down, leaving plenty of overhang as this will be used to cover the top of the gateau.
- Sauté leeks in little oil until soft then add garlic and sauté for further three minutes.
- Add the grated carrots, parsnips and a little water. Cover pan and sweat until soft, stirring occasionally.
- Add the cooked orzo or rice and mix well. Allow to cool before proceeding.
- When cool add breadcrumbs, sesame seeds and beaten egg. Season to taste and mix well.
- In a separate bowl mix together the grated halloumi with the rose harissa paste.
- To assemble, take half of carrot and parsnip mixture and place into cabbage-lined dish. Top with the halloumi mixture, followed by the remaining carrot and parsnip filling. Press the ingredients down well.
- Fold the cabbage leaves over to cover the top. Cover the top of the dish with tinfoil and bake for 30 minutes.
- To remove gateau from dish, place a plate over top and turn upside down. Brush the top with a little olive oil and allow to cool a little before serving.