Ready in: Under 15 Mins
Chickpea curries are great for vegetarians. If you have any leftover, toss them through dressed salad leaves the next day.
Ingredients:2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp black mustard seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
pinch of asafoetida/hing (optional)
2 spring onions, finely sliced
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1/2 tsp ginger, finely chopped
1 green chilli, finely sliced (optional)
1 tomato, chopped
1 tsp garam masala powder
600g chickpeas, drained and washed
1 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped
salt, to taste
- Gently heat the oil and add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds and asafoetida (if using).
- When the seeds starts sizzling add the spring onions, garlic, ginger and chilli (if using).
- Saute for one minute before adding the tomatoes and garam masala. Sprinkle in a little water to prevent the masala from burning.
- Stir well and after a few minutes stir in the drained chickpeas. Add around 200ml of water.
- Cover and allow to cook on a simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt.
- Finally stir through the coriander and serve with your favourite Indian bread.