Raspberry and Apple Cake
Keep the cake covered and refrigerated for up to 4 days, though let it come to room temperature before eating for the best flavour. If you like, sprinkle the cake with a little Tate & Lyle Icing Sugar just before serving.
Ingredients:100g reduced fat spread 100g Tate & Lyle White Sugar with Stevia Blend 3 large free-range eggs, beaten 1 tsp vanilla extract 200g self-raising flour 1 eating apple (not peeled) 100g raspberries (thawed if frozen) Topping: 300g low fat soft cheese 1/4 tsp vanilla extract 1 tbsp Tate & Lyle White Sugar with Stevia Blend 50g raspberries (thawed if frozen) 2 tbsp pomegranate seeds A few mint leaves (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/Fan 160°C/Gas Mark 4. Line a 20cm round cake tin with baking parchment or greaseproof paper.
- Put the reduced fat spread, White Sugar with Stevia Blend, eggs, vanilla extract and flour into a large mixing bowl and beat with a wooden spoon for 1-2 minutes.
- Grate in the apple (this is best if done just before using it, or else it will go brown) and fold it into the cake mixture with the raspberries.
- Spoon into the prepared tin and level the top. Bake on the middle shelf of the oven for 40-45 minutes. Test with a fine skewer inserted into the centre – it should come out clean (if not, bake for a few more minutes). Cool in the tin for 15 minutes, then turn out and leave to cool completely on a wire rack.
- To finish, beat the soft cheese with the vanilla extract and White Sugar with Stevia Blend. Spread over the top of the cake, then decorate with the raspberries, pomegranate seeds and mint leaves (if using).