Potato and Onion Bread
Ready in: 60 mins +
Know your nutrients
Powered by Nutracheck
Everyone should know how to make potato bread; it’s comforting, easy and wonderfully therapeutic to prepare. This recipe, created for British potato supplier Branston by TV chef and British Food champion Rachel Green, is one of our very favourites!
Ingredients:90g British potatoes
500g strong plain bread flour
1 tsp sugar
1 sachet easy mix yeast
300ml warm water
2 tbsp vegetarian Parmesan-style cheese, finely grated
1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves, chopped
1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped and sautéed in oil until soft
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
milk, for brushing
- Peel the potatoes, then chop into small pieces and boil until soft. Meanwhile, peel the onion, chop finely then sauté in a little oil until soft and gently coloured.
- Set the onion aside and mash the potatoes thoroughly to a smooth consistency. Preheat your oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
- Rub the butter into the flour, then mix in the mashed potato, sugar, yeast, cheese, thyme leaves and onion, sea salt and black pepper.
- Mix the warm water with the yeast, make a well in the middle of the mixture and pour yeast mix in. Mix into a dough and knead for five minutes.
- Shape into two loaves or one large loaf in the shape of a bloomer. Leave to rise in a warm place until double the size (approx 30 minutes).
- Brush each loaf with milk and top with thin slices of onion and thyme leaves. Bake in the oven for 40 minutes or until cooked.