Free-From Scones for Wimbledon
Just like Pimms and lemonade, scones, cream and jam are a summer essential, especially when Wimbledon is on - a British tradition! But if you eat a free-from diet and don’t have refined sugar, these delicious scones are the perfect (and healthier!) treat without missing out. Enjoy outside in the sunshine if we’re lucky!
Ingredients:350g Indigo Herbs brown rice flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda 90g Indigo Herbs coconut oil (solid) 1 teaspoon cinnamon 75g dried cherries, sultanas or raisins 120ml almond milk 50ml Indigo Herbs maple syrup ½ teaspoon apple cider vinegar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract Extra almond milk, to brush over
For the berry jam -150g mixed berries 4 tablespoons Indigo Herbs chia seeds 4 tablespoons Indigo Herbs stevia powder
For the cream -1 x can coconut milk, chilled in the fridge overnight 3 tablespoons Indigo Herbs maple syrup 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- First make the scones: Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C and line a large baking sheet with greaseproof paper.
- Mix together the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and cinnamon in a bowl.
- Rub in the solid coconut oil until you have a breadcrumb mixture then stir in the dried cherries, sultanas or raisins.
- Whisk together the milk, maple syrup, apple cider vinegar and vanilla then pour into the dry ingredients. Stir well to combine and form a soft dough.
- Flour a surface and roll out the dough to 4cm thickness. Use a cutter to cut out about 8 scones and arrange on the tray. Brush each with a little extra milk.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until golden and firmed up. Leave to cool.
- Meanwhile make the chia jam: Heat the berries in a pan with 2 tablespoons of water for 5 minutes until softened then mash gently with a fork. Remove from the heat and stir in the stevia and chia seeds. Mix well and set aside for at least 30 minutes to form a jam.
- Scrape out the solid part of the coconut cream from the can and spoon into a bowl along with the maple syrup and vanilla. Use an electric whisk to whip until quite thick. Transfer to a small dish and chill until needed.
- When ready to serve, spread some jam and coconut cream onto a scone and enjoy - try them warmed up!