British Asparagus and Cheese Brunch Muffins
Ready in: 30 to 60 mins
Ingredients:12 British asparagus spears
400g self-raising flour
200g Joseph Heler Cheshire cheese, cut into small cubes
1 small bunch chives, snipped into pieces
100ml plain yoghurt
1 tsp Suffolk Mud English mustard
2 free-range eggs
salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6 and line a 12 hole muffin tin with cases.
- Cut the asparagus stems into small pieces, about 1cm in length, leaving the tips a little longer, and blanch in boiling water for a couple of minutes. Drain and refresh under cold running water, separating the tips from the pieces of stem.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour with the cheese.
- Melt the butter and pour into a jug. Stir through the chives, milk, yoghurt, Suffolk Mud mustard and eggs. Mix well until combined and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Gently fold the wet ingredients into the flour and cheese, then stir through the asparagus stems. Be careful not to over mix.
- Spoon the mixture evenly between the muffin cases and push an asparagus tip into the middle of each. Bake in the oven from 25-30 minutes until golden. Best enjoyed hot and buttery!