Asian Cheese and Vegetable Sushi
Ready in: 60 mins +
Ingredients:125g sushi rice
170ml cold water
15ml mirin (sweet rice wine)
2 sheets sushi nori (roasted seaweed)
125g vegetarian Light Dutch Edam wedge, cut into 12 thin strips
1/4 cucumber, cut into 8 thin strips
1 roasted red pepper, cut into 8 thin strips
pickled ginger and wasabi, to serve
- Wash the rice in a sieve with cold water, handling the grains gently, until the water runs clear. Soak in cold water for 30 minutes.
- Place the rice and water in a saucepan, bring to the boil then reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and leave to steam for a further 10 minutes.
- Use a spatula to remove the rice from the pan and spread over the base of a metal tray, taking care not to crush the grains. Pour the mirin evenly over the rice and gently mix.
- Place a sheet of nori on a bamboo mat, shiny side down. With wet hands, spread half of the rice evenly over the nori, leaving a border of 2.5cm on the top edge. Place two strips of cheese end to end about 2.5cm from the bottom. Place two strips of cucumber next to the cheese, then add two more strips of cheese and two strips of red pepper. Repeat, ending with the cheese.
- Roll the nori tightly from the bottom, using the mat to help make a tight roll. Repeat with the remaining ingredients to make another roll. Trim the ends then slice each roll into six pieces, using a wet knife.
- Serve with pickled ginger and wasabi.